Wednesday, April 1, 2009

My Favorite Pie Recipes

I love Church Socials. I love third Sunday, when we all bring pot luck and eat together, "shaking salt" , and I am a recipe hound. I love new recipes, and love to share the "goodies"with all those that I love. I found it so sad when one of our members refused to share a recipe when I asked for a visitor. The visitor asked me, "Does she really love the Lord if she can't share?" Sadly, this Sister passed away, and we miss her dish so much, she was a wonderful cook, but I look upon her life as sad, someone who could not share such a simple gift as a recipe. That is why I love this blog, I can share with the world, and let them cook something special for someone they love. Eat hearty ! Eat with Joy ! Share with Love !

I could not believe the ingredients in this pie. It is a favorite of our entire church and the dear Sister who made it every third Sunday for us to enjoy has gone on to her reward, but she left us this recipe of love.

MARY'S ICE CREAM PIE
72 Ritz Crackers, crushed
1 stick of Oleo (I use butter)
1/2 gallon of Ice Cream, any flavor (I love the Vanilla or Cherry Vanilla)
2 packages of Vanilla Instant Pudding (or other flavors)
1 1/2 cups Sweet milk
One Large Container of Cool Whip
Crush the crackers and mix the cracker crumbs with oleo, line the
bottom of a 9x13 inch pan with the mixture, but save out 1 cup to
sprinkle on top. Mix the ice cream (softened), pudding,(dry) and
1 1/2 cups of milk together, then pour this mixture over the crumbs
in the pan. Spread the large container of Cool Whip over the top
of this mixture. Then sprinkle the rererved up of crumbs over the
top. Place in the freezer over night. It will take an hour or more to
thaw out, and will be just right by the time everyone finishes eating
and goes to the dessert table. There is never any left.
There are 72 crackers, or two stacks of crackers in the recipe.
Mary melts the oleo and mixes it with the crumbs, and pats it
in the pan.She makes sure it is written down in her recipe.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Bonnie's Strawberry Pie
1 Quart Strawberries
One 10 inch or 2 eight inch pie shells, cooked
Mix:
1 cup sugar
3 TBSP corn starch
2 cups water
One 3 oz. box of Strawberry Jello
Stirring all the time, cook mix until thick and clear. Let it cool.
Cut strawberries into cooked pie shell, spoon over cool strawberry
filling, and let it set in the refrigerator overnight. Serve with Cool Whip.
I love to put whole berries on the top of mine, so I always buy extra berries.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pecan Cream Pie
1 prepared Graham Cracker Crust
2 eggs, well beaten
1 can Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 cup Maple Syrup ( the REAL thing)
1 to 1 1/2 cups finely chopped pecans that have been toasted in 2 TBSP butter
Put in a saucepan and cook until thick. I usually put my pecans in just as it
begins to boil. Pour into the ready crust and let it cool. Before serving, top
with Cool Whip.
This recipe is so good...it is like eating candy, it is so rich and yummy.You need to cut it into small pieces, it is so rich.
-----------------------
Buttermilk Pie

3 eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 TBSP flour
2 TBSP butter
Mix all together, pour into unbaked pie crust and bake at 350 degrees x 35-40
minutes. Sprinkle top of pie with a little nutmeg. Don't worry if center of pie seems undone, it will thicken as it cools and be very creamy.
-----------------------
Bonnie's Pie Dough
2 cups plus 1 TBSP Crisco
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 1/4 teaspoons salt
5 cups flour
Mix and add:
3/4 cup ice water
--------------------------------
I decided I would make my son-in-law a Lemon Meringue Pie for Father's Day. Sadly, he is one who hates chocolate ! The phone rang, and my grandaughter Katie said, "Granny, Daddy said you put calf slobbers on that pie you sent us !" I wasn't quite sure what he had told her, so I thought about it for a minute. "Yep, Papa Benny went down and got calf slobbers off Hombre (the big Longhorn Steer), put it in a bucket, and I whipped it up and put it on that pie." "EWWWWWWW"......"I am not going to eat it !" Her daddy got on the phone and said she ate all of it but the meringue. I am still laughing at that child !
--------------
Meringue
3-4 egg whites
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3-1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon Cream of Tartar
1 TBSP Corn Starch
1 teaspoon vanilla
Whip the egg whites until they are frothy and double in size. Sprinkle in
the mixture of sugar mixed with the cream of tartar,corn starch and salt.
Whip until the egg whites are stiff and all the sugar is dissolved..Slowly
add the vanilla. Put on top of your favorite cream pie and bake at
400 degrees for 10-12 minutes, or till light brown.
-----------------------
Weepless Meringue
1 TBSP Corn Starch
2 teaspoons cold water
Make a paste
Add to:
1/2 cup boiling water
Cook over low heat until clear and thickened. Cool.
Add this to your beaten egg white mixture.
( 3 egg whites,dash of salt, 6 TBSP sugar)
Put on your pies and bake at 350 degrees for about 15 ininutes.
----------------
Fudge Sauce for Ice Cream
2 oz. unsweetened chocolate
1/2 cup white corn syrup
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
1 TBSP cornstarch
Mix sugar,salt,cornstarch together,then add liquids,put in square of chocolate, bring to a slow boil andboil 15 minutes. Remove from heat and add:2 TBSP butter2 teaspoons vanilla,Serve warm over ice cream. Keep in refrigerator,warm before using .Yummy.......................
====== ===
Today is one of my chocoholic days.....need some chocolate in me.I love chocolate, if it is ice cream, candy, pies, brownies, and the gooier it is , the better I like it, so I am making me a pie today. Will probably add a scoop of ice cream on it as well. This pie is more like a Brownie,not Fudge, but still, that is the name of it.....

Fudge Pie
1 stick butter2 squares unsweetened chocolate....melt in a double boiler
or zap in the microwave a couple minutes, 50 percent power level
In blender, add:
1/2 cup flour
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
Dash of salt
1 cup chopped nuts (Optional) (today I just added a little coconut
and a few nuts, use what you have or use nothing...will make a crust anyway.Whiz in the blender, than add the chocolate and butter. If it is all not melted, it doesn't matter, it will blend up in the blender.Pour into a pie pan sprayed with Pam, the mixture will be thick.Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Makes one 9 inch pie.---------------
----------------
My daughter called me tonight to tell me she has found a great new recipe, so I had her e-mail it to me so we can all try it...sounds good to me. Benny is still shelling out pecans, so we will be able to use some of them on this recipe.......

MINI PECAN PIES
1 3oz. cream cheese
1 stick of butter
1 cup flour
Soften cream cheese and butter.Add flour.Let chill. Roll into 1 inch balls and press into mini muffin pan.
FILLING
1egg
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 TBSP of butter
1 dash salt
1 tsp vanilla
Mix together and put about 1 TBSP of filling into each crust and bake 20 mins @ 350 degrees.

```````````````
Blender Custard Pie

I just made this new recipe, and it is a keeper. So easy, a good way to use
up those extra eggs, and YUMMY !

Blender Custard Pie
2 cups milk
4 eggs
1 stick oleo (I use butter)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup coconut
Place all ingredients in a blender and mix till combined.
Pour into a 9-inch pie pan, buttered or spayed with Pam,
and bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes. Sprinkle the
top with nutmeg. This makes its own crust.`````````````````````

No comments:

Post a Comment