Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Iron Skillet Apple Pie

Talk about a fantastic, delicious recipe...this one is a blue ribbon winner. Our new preacher's wife, Jana, brought this pie to third Sunday dinner. What caught my eye was the presentation, a big black iron skillet. So many of us love cast iron to cook in, and I have several pieces. She graciously shared the recipe with me. You will not be disappointed in this pie.......

Iron Skillet Apple Pie

7 apples (Granny Smith if possible)
1 cup Sugar (less if the apples are not tart)
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
2 Tablespoons Flour
1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice

Line skillet with pie crust (or use a Pillsbury Refrigerated Crust)
Add filling and top with second crust. Seal the edges together.
Bake until almost brown, and then add the topping for the last
ten minutes.

Topping

Mix together and sprinkle on top....

1/2 cup Brown Sugar
2 Tablespoons Butter
1/2 cup of pecan pieces
1 Tablespoon Heavy Cream

I always bake my pies at 350 degrees. This recipe did not have
a temperature, but I am sure this will bake perfect at this one.
I smile when I think of how all us ladies looked when we saw
this beautiful pie in the cast iron skillet....reminded me of
my Grandma, that was all she cooked with.....

1 comment:

  1. GrannyG! I just found your blogs and last week you just came to mine. I am happy you have one with your recipes. Remember you sent me recipes for black-eye peas? Great recipes and I know you probably have many more for me to test on here.

    ReplyDelete